[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 11:04:08 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 06:31 -0500, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
>> <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Unfortunately, regardless of whether I perform Step #4 (i.e. running
>> > the "makeboot.bat" script) while logged in as a user with Admin privs,
>>
>> >         Accessing physical drive: Access is denied.
>> >         Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing...
>>
>> On Vista and newer, most administrative actions from the GUI
>> (including cmd/batch files, etc) requires privilege elevation and
>> members of .\Administrators may elevate their privileges either
>> implicitly via a UAC prompt or explicitly (such as right-clicking a
>> program shortcut and using "Run as Administrator").
>

> Except that the implicit method is only available when the program
> needing the privileges goes out of its way to request the additional
> privilege.  It seems unlikely that the batch file in question does that;
> in fact, I'm not sure it even can.

Correct.  I have never seen a batch file request an elevation so I
doubt it can (unless you launch an installer that normally would
trigger a UAC prompt).

> What that means is that in order to update the MBR, you'll need to run
> the whole batch file with admin privileges.  It's not sufficient to be
> logged in as an administrative user; you must also specifically ask for
> the program (or your command window) to run with admin access, using the
> "Run as administrator" option.  The following Microsoft TechNet topic
> describes how to get a command window running as administrator:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813.aspx

I think you've made a more direct explanation of what I was trying to
convey which is that if you don't do "Run as Administrator" and it
doesn't trigger a UAC prompt (which can be hidden by group policy
unfortunately) for elevation, you effectively run without elevated
privileges.

--
-Gene