[syslinux] installing syslinux on a fresh system (SATA)

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Mon Jan 13 09:43:44 PST 2014

Mau Z <zmau1962 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:
>
>> Mau Z <zmau1962 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > So, basically I understand that I must create 2 partitions.
>>
>> If your application partition is ext2, then there's no need to create a
>> separate boot partition, you can simply use extlinux.  Basically,
>> extlinux is the (mounted) ext[234]/btrfs/XFS installer, while syslinux
>> is the (not mounted) FAT installer of the same boot loader.
>
> Thanks
> but I am still in the same spot :
> 1) I have created a partition (ext2 with GParted).
> 2) Now what ?   I was thinking that I should install syslinux (the
> bootloader).
>     All the examples say something like "syslinux --directory /boot/syslinux/ --install /dev/sdb1"
>     but this does not make any seance, because the is no /boot on the system.
>     I have tried it anyways, but the answer was :
>     "Invalid media signature (not a FAT filesystem?)"

You have to mount the freshly created partition, create the installation
directory on it (unless you want to install into its root), and install
extlinux:

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
# mkdir /mnt/extlinux
# extlinux --install /mnt/extlinux

Don't forget to install the MBR code as well and to activate your
partition.
--
                                                                Feri.