[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Tue Jan 14 03:32:24 PST 2014

Am 14.01.2014 07:56, schrieb Ronald F. Guilmette:
> Huh? I get the feeling that you are making the assumption that I have
> some flavor of Linux all set up and ready to run on this specific box
> (i.e. the one containg the Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G motherboard). I
> don't, actually. But I may have, in future. Would that help in some way?

Yes it would help. But the most easy way probably is to take
Win32DiskImager and one of the official Ubuntu ISO images. The official
ISOs are hybrid images. They also contain a partition table and a
bootloader. With Win32DiskImager you can create a bootable thumb drive.
Since the hybrid images usually have a bootloader at low LBAs and use a
drive geometry that works nearly everywhere, this Ubuntu stick should
boot on your board.

When it boots, you can take the Ubuntu live system to analyze the drives
that do not boot. You also can install software in memory in the the
Ubuntu system running from USB if you have sufficient RAM.

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!