[syslinux] installing syslinux on a fresh system (SATA)

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 09:52:28 PST 2014

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:54 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Use "LINUX" instead of "KERNEL" to specify that a linux kernel
> > >    should be booted
> > > 2. "LINUX" or "linux" now should be treated as a reserved word (because
> > >    of 1.)
> > >

> > > So, this might work better:
> > >
> > > prompt 1
> > > DEFAULT lnx
> > > LABEL lnx
> > > SAY Now booting my first extlinux
> > > LINUX /bzImage
> > > APPEND ro root=/dev/sda1
> > >

> > Syslinux doesn't have "reserved words" in quite that way.  Using "linux"
> > as a label name is perfectly fine.
> >
> >         -hpa
> >

> Thanks
> It did not work.
> I had also changed the label (just to be on the safe side).
>
> Any advice?
> Mau

I took the liberty of moving your last reply to the end of the email.
Maintaining top-to-bottom order helps understand the conversation.
Please try to maintain the order.

With regards to some advice, how exactly are you launching your
kernel?

In the Syslinux boot prompt, you should be typing:
lnx

according to the last suggestion. In other words, in your case you
need to type in the name of the label, not the name of the kernel.

BTW, you mentioned some "rootfs.tar". Don't you need it in the
'append' line too? Perhaps with the 'initrd=' parameter?

Regards,
Ady.