[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Jan 15 13:04:43 PST 2014

My apologies for replying to the message below out-of-order (and rather late).

I confess that I have had some difficulty trying to track this thread,
and to see which parts are questions/requests addressed to me personally,
as opposed to the discussions among and between everybody else about
this hornet's nest I seem to have opened.

In message <52D52048.8040703 at mattiasschlenker.de>,
Mattias Schlenker <ms at mattiasschlenker.de> wrote:

>Am 14.01.2014 07:56, schrieb Ronald F. Guilmette:
>> Huh? I get the feeling that you are making the assumption that I have
>> some flavor of Linux all set up and ready to run on this specific box
>> (i.e. the one containg the Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G motherboard). I
>> don't, actually. But I may have, in future. Would that help in some way?
>
>Yes it would help.

Well, I now have a _minimal_ install of ArchLinux on a drive that I
can install into this system with the Gigabyte GA-M55lus-S3G motherboard
in it.

So now, if you would be so kind as to remind me what you wanted me to
do (under Linux) I'll try to get that done.

Please understand however that the ArchLinux _is_ really minimal, and
I'm not even sure that i know yet how to install additional things on
it.  But if whatever you want me to do requires more than the base
system, then you'll have to tutor me also on proper procedure for
installing additional packages on ArchLinux.  (I really haven't had
time to even read that section of the ArchLinux wiki yet.)

But perhaps whatever you wanted me to do (under linux) has been rendered
moot by the other facts and evidence I have reported on since you posted.

Regards,
rfg