[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Jan 15 13:12:30 PST 2014

In message <1170645100953411894 at scdbackup.webframe.org>,
Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> Remember that RUFUS *does* set the
>> bootable flag and that, as I said already, my goofy motherboard refuses
>> to see a USB-connected device as being bootable if the device in question
>> contains a single partition that *does* have that flag set.
>
>If this theory is right then it would suffice to set bit 7
>of byte 446 of the USB stick to 0 (first byte is number 0).

I can un-set the bootable flag using Gparted, and have already done
so.  Doing that causes the USB stick to be seen as bootable by the
GA-M55Plus-S3G, as I recently reported.

>> I had no idea at that
>> time that I needed to set _both_ the bootable flag and the (non-
>> standard?) "LBA" flag.  But apparently both are vital.  Now I know.
>
>As producer of MBRs i wonder where that LBA-flag is located.

I am quite certainly NOT the person to ask about this.

But anyway, looking at other recent messages in this thread, I gather
that you fellows have already figured out all of the fine details of
whatever the heck it is that GParted is showing as an "LBA flag", yes?
So you don't need any additional info from me about this, right?

>Further i cannot tell how to flatly copy an image file onto
>USB stick by help of MS-Windows.

If you are speaking of an ISO (or UDF) type image, I also know of no
way to do this under Windows.  If I needed to do it, I would take the
stick over to my FreeBSD system and use dd.

Regards,
rfg