[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Jan 15 13:25:23 PST 2014

In message <13312645114355849636 at scdbackup.webframe.org>,
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

>Can you advise Ronald a way to get rid of the active/bootable flag ?

To repeat, I already do know exactly how to set or unset the bootable
flag.  I can use GParted to do that.  (No need to open a hex editor,
thank god!)

>Just to see how much stake this quirk of his board has in the
>overall problem.

To repeat, with this board (GA-M55Plus-S3G) if I have a USB stick
with an MBR partition table and one (and only one) partition on it
and if the bootable flag is set on that partition then the board
will not even see the USB stick.  (Well... at least the *BIOS* will
not see the stick as being in any sense a bootable device.)  And
paradoxically and conversely, if I have a USB stick with an MBR
partition table, and if that contains one and only one partition,
and if that partition DOES NOT have the bootable flag set, then the
motherboard WILL see it and WILL (potentially/partially at least)
boot off it.

Regards,
rfg