[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Jan 17 02:03:12 PST 2014

Hi,

> I have no reason whatsoecer to even vaguely
> suspect that any of the various USB stick I have here are in any way
> defective.

Yeah. But can that "8GB Patriot" show the failure
when you put one of originally failing systems onto it ?
You mentioned Clonezilla, UBCD, OpenELEC.

> Anyway, I did fetch the file [Ady's FAT32 image],
> unzipped it, and then dd'd "test.img" to
> _both_ my 4GB Transcend _and_ also to my 8GB Patriot.
> [...] _does_ appear to boot OK [...]

So my suspicion against FAT turns out to be as wayward
as it felt. Probably just some deceiving coincidence.

The only plausible theory in my mind would be that one
of your USB sticks does not work well with that single
mainboard.
But if the Patriot can fail or succeed at will, then
i am clueless. (One could mumble about old, meanwhile
fixed bugs in SYSLINUX.)

Have a nice day

Thomas