[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jan 17 02:09:14 PST 2014

In message <1767645779554124797 at scdbackup.webframe.org>,
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> > debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso
>> This image also boots with no problems on the GA-M55Plus-S3G.
>
>So isohybrid boots with and without additional GPT.
>It boots with partition start 0 and with partition start at 32 kB.

OK.  If you say so.  (Hey!  What do I know?)

>Everything points to FAT or the individual USB stick.
>
>Can you confirm that the same USB stick works with isohybrid
>and fails with the hard-disk-style setups ?

I would like to try, if doing so will be of any help.  But I'm sorry
to say that I don't even understand the question.  If you want me to
do more (or another) test, please give me precice instructions and
I'll do my best to carry them out and report results.

(For clarity, I used my 8GB Patriot XT USB stick for the two tests I
did with (1) the "archlinux-2014.01.05-dual.iso" file and (2) the
"debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso" file.)

I have several brands and sizes of USB sticks to play with here,
specifically:

      2GB Sandisk Blade
      4GB Sandisk Blade (3 of these)
      4GB Transcend JetFlash Model 530 (2 of these)
      8GB Patriot XT
      16GB Adata S102 (USB 3.0/2.0)
      32GB Patroit Axle

I can use any or all of these for testing.  Just tell me which ones
you want me to use.

>> Yes.  To my shame, I admit that this is a fairly old board.
>
>Old or not. It exists and offers resistance.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Regards,
rfg