[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Jan 17 03:22:57 PST 2014

Hi,

> > So isohybrid boots with and without additional GPT.
> > It boots with partition start 0 and with partition start at 32 kB.
> OK.  If you say so.  (Hey!  What do I know?)

These are parameters which might influence bootability.
Now they are unlikely to play a role in the problem.

> > Can you confirm that the same USB stick works with isohybrid
> > and fails with the hard-disk-style setups ?
> I'm sorry to say that I don't even understand the question.

Put Clonezilla or another failure candidate onto the 8 GB Patriot
stick that worked fine with isohybrid or Ady's image.
Check whether it fails with Clonezilla.

If it does fail, then this kills the theory about individual
problems between your board and a particular USB stick.
Then only the ideas of Mattias Schlenker remain: Some mishap
while the USB stick gets partitioned.

If you cannot produce a failure with Clonezilla on that stick,
then find a stick that fails with Clonezilla, and try this one
with isohybrid images or Ady's image.
If these images fail too, then the stick is to blame.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas