[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jan 17 13:44:38 PST 2014

In message <2455764567543797146 at scdbackup.webframe.org>,
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

>... then find a stick that fails with Clonezilla, and try this one
>with isohybrid images or Ady's image.

I can do this test.  And have.

I still have the 2GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade which had Clonezilla 2.2.0 on
it at the time I started this thread.  I just now re-verified that (a)
it boots to Clonezilla just fine on two other systems I have here
(laptop and HTPC), and I verified also (b) that it still cannot be
booted by the GA-M55Plus-S3G (and further, that the GA-M55Plus-S3G
still does not even list it in it's Boot Priority list).

After re-verifying the above information, I have taken that 2GB Sandisk
Cruzer Blade and I have dd'd Ady's test.img file to it, using bs=1m as
before.

It boots up and prints "Hello, world, ..." on the GA-M55Plus-S3G.

For the sake of completness, I also tried the same stick after dd'ing
to it the file "archlinux-2014.01.05-dual.iso".

This also boots up with no difficulty on the GA-M55Plus-S3G.

Regards,
rfg