[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jan 17 19:30:26 PST 2014

In message <49973.1389992217 at server1.tristatelogic.com>, I wrote:

>In message <52D90648.4010900 at mattiasschlenker.de>,
>Mattias Schlenker <ms at mattiasschlenker.de> wrote:
>
>>I would be personally interested in the following experiment:
>>
>> 1. Download this LessLinux test build:
>>    http://download.lesslinux.org/testing/lesslinux-search-and-rescue/lesslinu
>>-search-and-rescue-uluru-20140107-193740.iso
>> 2. dd it to the 8GB thumb that formerly failed
>> 3. Boot it
>> 4. Shut down
>> 5. Boot again
>
>I am downloading this file now, but it is rather large, and will take
>awhile.  As soon as I have it I will perform the above procedure and
>then report results.

I have performed the above test, both with my 8GB Patroit XT and also with
one of my 2GB Sandisk Cruzer Blades.  (I can't remember having reporting
any booting problems with the 8GB Patroit XT so far, which is why I decided
to do the test also with one of the 2GB Sandisk Cruzer Blades, because I
*have* reported problems with those.)

 The results were the same in both cases.

In both cases, LessLinux Search & Rescue booted up and began a timed
10 second countdown, which I allowed it to finish in each case.  After
that, it started to do something... I'm not even sure what, exactly...
and eventually froze up while displaying a progress bar, showing about 50%
completion (of something) and the phrase "Starting dhcpcd".

For each of the two USB sticks I then powered the system off and rebooted
again.

Results were then identical to the first boot from each of the two sticks.

Regards,
rfg