[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 01:05:20 PST 2014

> Ady:
> > I also "forced" a FAT32 LBA filesystem,
> Ronald F. Guilmette:
> >     *) with respect to Ultimate Boot CD (5.2.7), the answer is "CHS".
> >     *) with respect to OpenELEC (3.2.3, I think), the answer is "CHS".
> H. Peter Anvin:
> > OK, it is "CHS"... which most likely means this is a geometry problem.

Just to clarify, the two "CHS" messages were seen when booting with
the initially-failing USB drives (and my guess is that the third USB
drive that by now has been overwritten was also in "CHS" mode).

_Later_ tests, including the ones with my test.img, are not using CHS
mode and, more importantly, they are successfully booting the system.

> The current best guess is that your mainboard does not like
> some or all variants of CHS but works with LBA.
> Whether your stick's FAT uses CHS or LBA is decided when you
> partition the stick and format the empty FAT filesystem.

There are several reasons for the initial failure to boot; one of the
possible ones being some potential mix-up and incompatibility with
some CHS values.

> H. Peter Anvin:
> > find the "magic
> > geometry" that works on that machine, which may be 64/32 for example.
> > However, in CHS mode 1024x64x32 is only 1 GiB,
>
> So Peter proposes to try 32 sectors per head and 64 heads per
> cylinder when you partiton the USB stick. The partitioning
> program should offer you an opportunity to set these factors.
>
> Maybe it suffices to format the partitioned stick to a FAT
> filesystem variant which uses LBA.

Let's try to avoid special or specific CHS values. Giving the recent
successful tests, they seem to be not necessary. We are already
seeing success when using adequate (and commonly-used) Nx255x63
values in the MBR, in the VBR, formatting as FAT32-LBA with starting
offset of 2048 sectors. I would suggest keeping this format.

Regards,
Ady.