[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 04:12:51 PST 2014

> >This particular mainboard might be using different BIOS values than
> >others, and there are several other alternative explanations for all
> >these issues. Your last few tests suggest that we are on a good track
> >now.
>
> I have just a couple of questions.  First, who exactly is Mr. Syslinux?
> Who is the primary developer/maintainer?  Second, may I safely assume
> that the goal of what we have all been doing is to produce (at some
> point) a new version of Syslinux that will cater better to older
> motherboards and older Award BIOSes, such as what I have?  Lastly,
> may I also safely assume that at some appropriate point in the future,
> Mr. Syslinux, or some close associate, will actively take steps
> to actively encourage the developers of UBCD, Clonezilla, and OpenELEC
> to incorporate the new "fixed" version of Syslinux into their future
> distributions, you know, so that other poor sods like me won't in
> future be beset by these issues?  (For my part, *I* have already
> ordered a new/replacement motherboard, so all of this work we've done
> is not likely to benefit me directly.  But I would like to think that
> it hasn't all been wasted effirt, and that _someone_ may benefit.))

"Mr. Syslinux" would be H. Peter Anvin (hpa), as the initial
copyright line shows when booting Syslinux.

Regarding UBCD, Clonezilla (and GParted) Live, I happen to know that
they are working on improving bootability.

Regarding improving Syslinux, feedback is the way. Other than that,
it seems to me that in this particular case the issues are more
related to how the partitioning and formatting (of the USB drive) are
done. For such cases, we can try to help, but it does not depend on
The Syslinux Project.

> >I would like to ask from you to _at least try_ my last instructions.
>
> I am willing to do so, but with the understanding (on everybody's part)
> that I really don't want to do any more of this, i.e. after this last
> test.  I've tried to be helpful, but there is a limit.  Following
> convoluted sets of technical instructions is not actually my idea of
> a good time.  (And I don't really have any stake or personal interest
> in the outcome anymore either.)

I am doing this without any personal gain either.

Regarding the technical instructions, we have been providing
relatively simple ones. Unfortunately, only you can work on this
particular system.

We have added technical details so they can be useful to narrow down
the problem, but IMHO the commands for you were relatively simple.

I can understand that following technical instructions is not fun to
most people. If you want to stop, nothing we can do about that.

Regarding the hardware, my guess is that you could easily find some
other mainboards where those USB drives in their current state won't
be bootable. Some may, some won't.

IMHO, partitioning and formatting the USB drive with an adequate set
of values is probably a better way to solve this issue, whether for
this mainboard or for others. This is why I said that you should want
to be able to do an adequate partitioning and formatting by yourself,
so then you could put in those USB drives whatever you would want,
not just some isohybrid images.

> >After dd'ing my test.img to the USB drive, you would have one FAT32
> >partition of about 700MB. So:
> >
> >1_ Expand the content of the Clonezilla Live zip archive in some
> >temporal directory.
>
> Ummm... Which version, exactly?

You already mentioned having a Clonezilla Live 2.2.1-22 zip archive.
You could use that one if you want.

> >2_ Move *almost* all the resulting expanded content...
>
> I should be able to perform all of the moving & replacing of files
> that you requested directly on my FreeBSD system (using ntfs-3g) rather
> than on Windoze.  Do you care, either way?

Note that I posted my instructions in a very "generic" way. You can
use whatever method you want, as long as the USB drive is recognized
by the OS and the FAT32-LBA filesystem is writable.

If booting it then succeeds, I would also suggest using fdisk just to
set (write) the "active" flag (nothing else) and test again. I know
you were not successful with it before, but you were operating under
some assumptions about the BIOS behavior that were inaccurate
(according to your own reports), while the partitioning scheme of the
USB drive was inadequate.

Best Regards,
Ady.