[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 04:40:09 PST 2014

> OK.  I believe that I understand what you just said.  (Actually, I for
> one never even contemplated the possibility of any sort of bad inter-
> action between a specific USB stick and a specific motherboard.  Do
> such instances ever actually crop up, in practice?  I would guess
> not.)

Actually this was your case. In this regard, there are two categories
of problematic combinations:
_ specific brands / models of USB drives (together with certain
software tools or with specific mainboards);
_ partitioning and formatting values that "play not-nice" with
certain mainboards / BIOS versions, or the other way around.

You _were_ falling in the second one.

> >There are FAT filesystems which operate via CHS addresses,
>
> Still??  Who uses them?  Why do they continue to use them?

You were using it. Remember that you were initially seeing "CHS" in
the Syslinux "copyright" notice. So, when formatting with FAT, use
FAT32-LBA (aka. FAT32 with "LBA" flag), among other "adequate"
settings.

> >So Peter proposes to try 32 sectors per head and 64 heads per...
>
> If Peter desires me to run another test, he will need to give me
> detailed instructions on what exactly he wants done. I will then
> attempt to follow those instructions to the best of my ability, but
> my hope is that I will only need to fetch files, dd them to sticks,
> and then try booting them.

There is no need to test other CHS values. You are already succeeding
with Nx255x63 with LBA (you are seeing "EDD" in initial Syslinux
copyright line when booting). So, fortunately we have passed that
point.

Regards,
Ady.