[syslinux] Cluster Size discrepancy between FAT32 and NTFS

mike setzer qualityana at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 19 06:44:03 PST 2014

Hi,

I am not an engineer or linux expert but I have been using syslinux to boot
live disk filesets (extracted from iso's) residing on fat32 and NTFS volumes.

In FAT32 there has been no problem going with larger cluster sizes up to the nominal maximum of 64K

however, with NTFS it has not been possible to exceed the cluster size of 4096.
With NTFS formatted using clusters of 8192 or larger,
upon boot apparently the syslinux bootsector is
read since the syslinux version is displayed, but progress stops with no error message

this has been tested using real machines, not virtual

ability to handle larger cluster sizes would seem to be as useful for NTFS as in FAT32,
if not more so.

I stand by prepared for immediate testing of win32 syslinux versions as early as 4.06 which contain
modifications to include this property

thanks to all