[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Jan 19 14:14:26 PST 2014

In message <52DC29E3.7080004 at mattiasschlenker.de>,
Mattias Schlenker <ms at mattiasschlenker.de> wrote:

>To cut a log story short, we probably should write some advices for best
>practices of creating bootable media...

Ummm... You've just touched on something that I had been intending to
ask about.

I was going to ask "Isn't there (someplace) a document which gives all
these folks who are using Syslinux (in the sense of incorporating it
into other things) a document that tells them exactly how best to
do that?"  But I don't even need to ask that question now.  Google
is my friend, and it took me all of five second to arrive here:

   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX

I don't even have to either read or understand any of the abundant infor-
mation located here in order to see that it is very comprehensive and
detailed... which, of course, is excellent.

So anyway, I would guess that all of your suggested bits of advice for,
as you put it, "best practices" when using Syslinux should go someplace
in there, no?

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Someday (when I grow up :-) perhaps I will want to create a useful
stand-alone bootable tool too.  Obviously, Syslinux is a key and critical
part of the process of creating such a thing.  But where might a person
find instructions and advice on how to create the NEXT part, i.e. a
minimalist Linux... along the lines of what is used to support OpenELEC
or Clonezilla...  for the world's next great stand alone bootable app?
Is there any one place where enlightenment about THIS part of the process
is concentrated?  (Not that I have any plans myself to work on creating
the world's next great stand-alone application.  I am just acutely aware
that so much of the great stuff that has been produced by the FOSS community
over the past years has only been possible due to the availability
of lots and lots of great free & open supporting infrastructure type
software.  Certainly Clonezilla and OpenELEC are perfect examples of
this.)

Ady?  What all went into producing your bootable "Hello world" thing?
I gather that you did not find it necessary to first drag in the whole
Linux kernel to make that work, but I'm still sort-of interested in what
you did, and the steps you took anyway.  Obviously, any fool... even me...
can write a trivial five line "Hello world" program in C, but what
supplied and implemented stdout for that?

P.P.S.  Has anybody got a comprehensive list of stand-alone bootable
things that are already leveraging off Syslinux?  Just in case I do
come up with an idea for the world's next great stand-alone bootable
app, I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel.