[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Jan 20 02:25:42 PST 2014

Op 2014-01-20 om 00:04 schreef Ronald F. Guilmette:
> In message <52DCC023.7000100 op zytor.com>, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >On 01/19/2014 03:47 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> >>
> >> Doesn't the Syslinux project provide (hopefully strong) specific
> >> reccomendations, to its user base, for how these things should best
> >> be done, you know, in order to insure maximal interoperability?
> >>

> >We try (see our wiki), but those recommendations can only come from mass
> >testing across many, many systems -- which we have to rely on our
> >userbase for as we have no such resources.
>
> I understand.
>
> As you see, I have tried to be helpful, and have done much testing...
> all the testing that was requested of me.
>
> Now, will you please make whatever adjustments you feel might be
> appropriate, either to the Syslinux wiki, or to the code or both,
> and then, far more importantly as far as I am concerned, will you
> reach out personally to the developers of Clonezilla, UBCD, and
> OpenELEC, and provide them with advice, suggestions, and, if
> appropriate, new (Syslinux) code which will help them to all to
> avoid such end-user problems as I have experienced in the future?
> Will you be kind enough to commit to doing that (please)?

Because I didn't follow this completely,
I could be wrong that there is no code change needed.

And about the documenting part. This text

   A wiki  is usually a web application which allows people to add,
   modify, or delete content in a collaboration with others. Text is
   usually written using a simplified markup language or a rich-text
   editor. While a wiki is a type of content management system, it differs
   from a blog or most other such systems in that the content is created
   without any defined owner or leader, and wikis have little implicit
   structure, allowing structure to emerge according to the needs of
   the users

is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

The Syslinux wiki is at http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project

It is been a while ago that I got a syslinux wiki account.
So I don't know how hard it is to get one these days.
My message is that getting a syslinux wiki account is possible.
And if the account creation process is broken, please tell.

Something else:
I agree with the majority that some one else should do it
and my kudos go to the minority that actually do.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven