[syslinux] syslinux and btrfs-formatted dos/MBR partition

David de Marneffe daviddemarneffe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 04:42:50 PST 2014

Hello Gene, thanks for your reply.

Yes BIOS mode. The config wants a menu, which loads fine under ext4
and not under btrfs. Under btrfs I have also tried to remove the
syslinux.cfg file altogether (which should trigger the boot: prompt if
I am not mistaken) and the result is the same: only the copyright line
appears and no prompt.

The three letter sequence is EDD.

The disk is 160GB, here is the fdisk. Tried to install on /dev/sda6
and /dev/sda3.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x92e4538c

/dev/sda1              63   167750729    83875333+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       167750791   296093695    64171452+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3   *   296094015   312496379     8201182+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4       312496380   312576704       40162+  ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/sda5       167750793   259915634    46082421    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6       259917824   296093695    18087936   83  Linux

It's true I am normally chainloading my Linux installations from the
WinXP bootloader, and that is what I initially tried with my btrfs
attempts, however in the course of testing I just backed up my MBR and
let syslinux overwrite it (yes I did set the boot flag before
installing syslinux and overwriting the MBR). That didn't make any
difference.

I am not performing any extra steps (although I tried adding hooks etc
but it didn't work). Simply put, if I follow the Arch wiki step by
step and format with ext4, everything works as expected. If I do the
same with btrfs, it's a no-no.