[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Jan 21 11:47:52 PST 2014

Hi,

Dean Graff wrote:
> the closest i have gotten to a consistent way to test a MS-DOS filesystem
> setup is:
> [...]
> parted binary.img mklabel msdos -s -m
> [...]
> mkfs.ext4 $(kpartx -savu "${i}" | awk 'NR==1{print "/dev/mapper/"$3 }' )

Wow. This is nearly as ugly as a xorriso run to produce an
isohybrid image.

Even if we leave out the image file preparation and the part
after mkfs.ext4 (or mkfs.vfat), i still doubt that a prescription
of this complexity will be of much help for a user who is
riddling why the USB stick does not boot.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas