[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jan 21 12:38:42 PST 2014

On 01/21/2014 12:10 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> hpa:
>> The mkdiskimage tool in the Syslinux distribution exists for this reason.
>
> Then
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#Creating_a_Bootable_Disk
> should point to a tutorial for mkdiskimage.
>
> I cannot spot any occurence of "mkdiskimage" in
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/HowTos
>
> Is there already a description at other places ?

Doesn't look like it, which is indeed an oversight.

The description is as given by the helptext:

Usage: $0 [-doFMz4][-i id] file c h s (max: 1024 256 63)
    -d    add DOSEMU header
    -o    print filesystem offset to stdout
    -F    format partition as FAT32
    -M    "c" argument is megabytes, calculate cylinders
    -z    use zipdisk geometry (h=64 s=32)
    -4    use partition entry 4 (standard for zipdisks)
    -i    specify the MBR ID
    -s    output a sparse file (don't allocate all blocks)

It is worth noting that it, like the "mtools" syslinux installer,
invokes mtools to do the actual formatting.