[syslinux] Advice/directions to users of Syslinux

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Wed Jan 22 02:21:45 PST 2014

Am 22.01.2014 10:53, schrieb Ady:

> A relatively modern partitioning tool (not from the '80s) would
> already include adequate support for LBA, and for MiB alignment. If
> we are trying to help non-technical users, we shouldn't be adding
> information that could make their lives more complex.
>
> That's why I mentioned in recent emails in this Syslinux mailing list
> that the short answer (which a non-technical user having problems
> with partitions would appreciate) is to:
> 1_ "create a new DOS partition table";
> 2_ create a new partition;
> 3_ format it.
>
> By adding technical details, it makes it harder for a non-technical
> user to follow, and such user will probably go away looking for a
> simpler answer.

We are adressing two kinds of people:

 1. People who want to create a bootable pendrive, possibly containing
    images from two or three different distributions - we usually can
    expect them to be tech savvy enough to understand those three steps.
    We should probably further point out that a fairly modern tool for
    1+2 has to be used like parted or gparted
 2. People that are creating tools or wrapper script for an install to
    thumb drives. We have to give them some advice that the filesystems
    and geometries of thumb drives are not reliable from factory - we
    might give the the advice to freshly partition/format the users
    thumb drive or at least check the geometry for LBA usability, we
    might further give them an advice how to prepare isohybrid media
    that can be dd'ed to a thumb drive - in many cases this removes the
    need for a separate tool for USB installation

Group 2 might be actively contacted by us. I  am willing to share my
knowledge on practical usage of isohybrid media and converting isohybrid
media to properly partitioned media during linux boot.

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!