[syslinux] Some (U)EFI questions

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Wed Jan 22 03:03:32 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

for UEFI bootable media I currently use preloader+gummiboot while on
BIOS media I use isolinux/extlinux. Since maintaining two configurations
is some kind of extra work, I plan switching to syslinux in the next
weeks or months. Creating an UEFI boot partition or El-Torito image
seems easy: Use preloader, hashtool and the syslinux efi file, copy them
to the FAT image and be happy. However I got two questions:

 1. Do the 32 bit and 64 bit UEFI syslinux' both search for the same
    config or is there the possibility to use different config files? I
    might fiddle around with ifcpu64 but cannot yet, since I am waiting
    for a piece of 32 bit hardware
 2. Is there a possibility to load a kernel that resides outside the
    El-Torito image on a DVD? As I understand the latest development, it
    is now possible to do so on partitioned media like USB hard disks,
    buts is there also development effort going on for accessing the DVD
    drive when started from an El-Torito image

What is the state of 32 bit UEFI support in syslinux? Until a few weeks
ago I thought 32 bit UEFI was negligable since it was just used on old
netbooks and old Macs. However those relatively cheap tablets with Intel
bay trail processors usually come with 32 bit UEFI. Has anyone of you
already had access to such a device? Is it possible to load 64 bit
kernels on those devices using the 32 bit syslinux as with the BIOS
syslinux?

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!