[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 10:50:21 PST 2014

> > > Both sticks show very unusual factors for heads and sectors
> > > which are hardly intentional. If BIOS gets confused like fdisk,
> > > then the failure to find files is quite plausible.

> > > Could you please exercise what is described for Linux in
> > >   http://www.syslinux.org/doc/usbkey.txt
> > > and check whether
> > >   mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sda 0 64 32
> > > prepares a problematic stick for a normal installation of
> > > Clonezilla, which then boots ?
> > >

> > I have to disagree., at least at this point.
> >

> I have to disagree with the disagree, at least so some extent.  I find
> mkdiskimage to be an extremely useful and compact tool to do what
> otherwise takes several potentially more error-prone steps.

I have nothing against the mkdiskimage script.

My disagreement in the email you quoted was regarding starting to
play with CHS values, whichever success they might have for others.

We already know that, for Ronald, their USB drives and their
mainboards, a geometry of Nx255x63 will work as expected.

Additionally, certain tools will initially default / assume that the
geometry is Nx255x63. Most common information nowadays posted in
websites / forums are also assuming such geometry.

So, for simplicity, my suggestion was / is for Ronald to use
Nx255x63, which should work correctly.

Regards,
Ady.