[syslinux] Advice/directions to users of Syslinux

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 19:29:50 PST 2014

> Hi,
>
> me:
> > > But MiB alignment does not match 255x63 cylinders. (Or at least
> > > only in very large steps. They share no prime factors except
> > > the block size.)
>
> Ady:
> > It doesn't matter. My test.img for Ronald had Nx255x63 geometry, and
> > STARTing LBA of 2048.
>
> Yeah. It has end CHS 89,69,35.
> But it lacks the other ingredient of the mess: a CHS driven filesystem.
>
> The hope with 64x32 and 255x63 is to make CHS addressing
> more likely to happen correctly.

Once the partition table matches the actual partition location, and
the values in the VBR match them too (we are getting to that point
when we finish with the "simple correction" procedure I already
described), there is no issue about CHS addresses anymore.

But that's OK. Those are just two different geometries (and I am more
inclined to use Nx255x63 for reasons I already mentioned). Presenting
2 possible geometries would be fine. Presenting the whole START / END
values, per sizes, and whatnot... that's the part, I think, is "too
much" detail to be effective; the common user would go away.

> > I would suggest not using the work "disk". It is frequently
> > misinterpreted, specially when used near "MS-DOS". We are talking
> > about "partition tables".
>
> I am unhappy with "disk" too.
> But that change would have a much wider scope in the text.
>
> "Disk" is the term used by the starting point of the partitioning
> endeavor in SYSLINUX#Creating_a_Bootable_Disk
>  "In order to create a bootable disk using SYSLINUX,
>   prepare a normal MS-DOS formatted disk."

You can still use a different wording in a linked section. If "disk"
is not the best choice for the new section, then choose a better
term.

> > It works on GPT too.
>
> This is hopefully a feature, not a problem. :o)

Yes, my point is that a casual user might (mis)interpret (from
certain paragraphs) that Syslinux is for MBR only. In fact, the "can
Syslinux work on GPT?" question has been posted more than once. So,
let's try to minimize that wrong impression when editing the Syslinux
wiki.

Regards,
Ady.