[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Jan 23 00:27:14 PST 2014

Hi,

Ady:
> > > I would suggest not using the work "disk".
me:
> > I am unhappy with "disk" too.
> > But that change would have a much wider scope in the text.
Ady:
> You can still use a different wording in a linked section. If "disk"
> is not the best choice for the new section, then choose a better
> term.

Two problems:

There are probably reasons why "disk" was chosen as term for
the wiki. I am reluctant to overthrow this choice without
backing from SYSLINUX developers.

What term to use instead of "disk" ?
"Drive" might be more modern, but an USB stick is not actually
a drive. "Device" is probably a unixism and also anbigous,
because partitions are devices, too.

Finding a new term and getting agreement is worth a separate
wiki overhaul project.

> > > It [SYSLINUX] works on GPT too.
> > This is hopefully a feature, not a problem. :o)
> Yes, my point is that a casual user might (mis)interpret (from
> certain paragraphs) that Syslinux is for MBR only.

This is an interesting wiki enhancement project, too.
Starting at the statement on the main wiki:
"prepare a normal MS-DOS formatted disk".

First one would have to collect tangible information.
(I know GPT as i know MBR: on byte level only.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas