[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Jan 23 15:18:52 PST 2014

In message <21644642120030394218 at scdbackup.webframe.org>,
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

>What term to use instead of "disk" ?
>"Drive" might be more modern, but an USB stick is not actually
>a drive. "Device" is probably a unixism and also anbigous,
>because partitions are devices, too.
>
>Finding a new term and getting agreement is worth a separate
>wiki overhaul project.

"mass storage device"

It is the only term which encompasses everything that is of interest
here, including not just rotating magnetic media, but also flash...
both USB and sATA... and also rotating *optical* media,  rewritable
or otherwise.

(As Thomas noted, flash things are not actually "drives" in any sense.)

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Eventually, we will all be carrying around little holographic cubes
the size of dice that will each store the entire Library of Congress, but
even those will still qualify as "mass storage devices".