[syslinux] iPXE chain to lpxelinux.0 6.03-pre17 inconsistencies and failures

Alexander Perlis aperlis at math.lsu.edu
Thu Jul 3 22:07:34 PDT 2014

On 07/03/2014 08:44 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Alexander Perlis wrote:
>
>> I suppose we could try making an ISOLINUX CD for the local boot, which then
>> uses pxechn.c32 to connect to our PXE server?
>
> pxechn.c32 requires a functional PXELINUX.

If I understand the issue correctly, is it that pxelinux.0 does not have
a network stack and instead relies on whoever invoked it (typically the
NIC ROM PXE code) to provide that?

But doesn't lpxelinux.0 have its own network stack? Will lpxelinux.0 do
a DHCP to get an IP address? If yes, could one then put together an
isolinux CD that locally loads lpxelinux.0 off the CD, then does the
DHCP just to get an IP, and then uses pxechn.c32 to reach a particular
server?

Alex