[syslinux] iPXE chain to lpxelinux.0 6.03-pre17 inconsistencies and failures

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Jul 4 01:57:24 PDT 2014

Op 2014-07-04 om 00:07 schreef Alexander Perlis:
> On 07/03/2014 08:44 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Alexander Perlis wrote:
> >
> >>I suppose we could try making an ISOLINUX CD for the local boot, which then
> >>uses pxechn.c32 to connect to our PXE server?
> >
> > pxechn.c32 requires a functional PXELINUX.
>
> If I understand the issue correctly, is it that pxelinux.0 does not
> have a network stack and instead relies on whoever invoked it
> (typically the NIC ROM PXE code) to provide that?
>
> But doesn't lpxelinux.0 have its own network stack? Will lpxelinux.0
> do a DHCP to get an IP address? If yes, could one then put together
> an isolinux CD that locally loads lpxelinux.0 off the CD, then does
> the DHCP just to get an IP, and then uses pxechn.c32 to reach a
> particular server?

First message in this thread has

    To get to our PXE-launched tools from hosts on a subnet without
    proper DHCP support (e.g., on a NAT or in a different building)

IMNSHO is the way to go for the original poster,
is to go beyond his (akward?) DHCP situation.

Here some possibilities:

* Talk with network administration, explain what is going on
and ask what possibilities they see to improve the situation.

* Install on the "remote" network a netboot server. A previous post
in this thread mentioned "PXE server". But I think that only the
DHCP server part of a PXE server is wanted/needed.

* Consider 'Petit boot', a kexec based bootloader
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/petitboot/petitboot.html

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--