[syslinux] Creating LiveCD with EFI option?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Jul 4 11:51:34 PDT 2014

On 4 Jul 2014 at 11:57, Email wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 4 Jul 2014 11:57:36 -0400
From:           	Email <email at missionaccomplish.com>
To:             	syslinux at zytor.com
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Creating LiveCD with EFI option?

> I have been using syslinux-6.x along with isohybrid --mac and --efi
> option to create a usb hybrid iso with EFI support. The thing with EFI
> is that you'll need to use grub as your bootloader for EFI but
> isohybrid does setup the proper partition schema for EFI.
>
> You'll need to use the following to generate an iso that works.
>
> xorriso -as mkisofs -J -R -l -V some-vol-label \
>   -o ../image.iso \
>   -c isolinux/boot.cat \
>   -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>      -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
>   -eltorito-alt-boot \
>   -e isolinux/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot -eltorito-alt-boot \
>   -e isolinux/macboot.img -eltorito-id "MAC" -no-emul-boot \
>   ../src
>
> isolinux/efiboot.img is a vfat image that contains:
> * EFI/BOOT/bootx32.efi - created with grub2-mkimage
> * EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg - standard grub.cfg
>
> isolinux/macboot.img is a bit more complicated but if you don't need
> your iso to boot on macosx hardware you can ommit this flag. This file
> contains:
>
> * .VolumeIcon.icns - icon for EFI boot image in macosx
> * EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
> * EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
> * mach_kernel - dummy kernel required for boot
> * System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi - basically a blessed
> BOOTX64.efi * System/Library/CoreServices/grub.cfg *
> System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
>
> You can look at mkefiboot.py from fedora's lorax package to see how
> this was generated. I have a customized copy which generates the
> macboot.img without the shim support.
>
> After you've done generating the iso image with xorriso you can just
> run:
>
> isohybrid --uefi --mac image.iso then test this image with qemu and
> http://tianocore.sourceforge.net/wiki/OVMF with the -bios option to
> qemu.
>
> Good luck and happy debugging!

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that an compare it with the current options.
I have had people use the regular cd image on intel macs, so will have to
look into that as well.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     17143252.980144   |   SETI        28408111.086500
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    27323520.910938