[syslinux] mdiskchk and WinPE

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 22:55:48 PDT 2014

> Greetings, all... Hoping someone can point me in the right
> direction. I've set up a Linux PXE host with a menu choice to
> install Windows. This option boots a WinPE image, which then uses
> \\net use... to mount the appropriate ISO image. Works fine.
> However, I would like to pass the iso name and directory into
> WinPE from the menu via append= arguments. Thus, I can set up a
> separate menu option for each Windows version while using a single
> (or two) WinPE engines to get all this done. I think that mdiskchk
> would do the job admirably but there's no build out there that I
> can find for 32- and 64- bit WinPE flavors, and building my own
> from the code at
> git://git.zytor.com/users/sha0/syslinux.git/win32/mdiskchk has
> been a bit challenging: In file included from
> ../libinstaller/syslinux.h:17,                 from
> syslinux.c:28:../libinstaller/advconst.h:2: error: expected `=´,
> `,´, `;´, `asm´ or `__attribute__´ before numeric
> constantsyslinux.c: In function `main´: Has anyone successfully
> built these executables, or can someone suggest a better path to
> take?
> Thanks!
> jml

I can see 1 branch in Shao's git repo that might be relevant:

 mdiskchk_win

[quote]

mdiskchk.exe will be the Windows counterpart for the DOS version
 mdiskchk.com.  The purpose is to be able to scan low memory for
instances
 of Syslinux' MEMDISK and report these instances' parameters to a
user
 or batch file.

Under Windows, we will use the pmem.sys driver to scan physical
memory.
 If the driver is not installed, we will install it.

[/quote]

This seems to be somewhat a work-in-progress "compatible" with
Syslinux 4.06, YMMV.

So you would need pmem.sys and mdiskchk.exe, to be tested under WinPE
32-bits.

There is an additional branch in Shao's git repo, "mdiskchk_winbin",
including a mdiskchk.exe binary for test (although no pmem.sys).

Possible relevant email threads (starting email, you should probably
read the whole thread):

>From 2012Nov:
 http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2012-November/thread.html

1_ http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2012-November/018866.html

2_ http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2012-November/018867.html

Additionally, the main Syslinux git repo has an older branch,
"memdisk-acpi", but AFAIK it was never finished.

Regards,
Ady.