[syslinux] isohybrid binary not in 6.03-pre18? (utils bt is in bios/utils?)

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:15:13 PDT 2014

> But these is no isohybrid in the efi directories? So, why wasn't the isohybrid.c
> also moved to bios/utils?

The source code is still in the same place; the binaries are
generated into respective subdirectories.

I would suggest reading:
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Library_modules

 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Multi-Arch

and in the same "Common Problems" page you also have some notes about
ELF and Modules.

> Still don't know where to get or create the efiboot.img. Also not clear on what
> to do with any of the files in efi32?

Basically (and please understand that I am not covering every single
alternative but just the most common), the "ESP" is a FAT partition
in a GPT media.

I would suggest reading about UEFI in general (e.g. from Wikipedia);
for instance about the EFI System Partition ("ESP") and the default
paths and names for EFI bootloaders (BOOTIA32.EFI, BOOTX64.EFI,...).
Some Wiki pages in several Linux distros are also valuable, same as
other EFI bootloaders' documentation.

WRT efiboot.img, that's currently not supported by Syslinux.
Currently Syslinux cannot boot optical media in UEFI mode, unless
(and perhaps if) the media is formatted with ISO9660+UDF and the
particular UEFI supports booting UDF media (I have not actually
tested this option, so it may or may not work).

You should be capable of transferring an ISO image to a (USB) drive
containing at least one "ESP" and use Syslinux to boot it in UEFI
mode.

Regards,
Ady.