[syslinux] lpxelinux hangs under Intel Boot Agent 1.3.81 (2.1 build 089) on Dell Optiplex 990 BIOS A16

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:39:52 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 07/10/2014 04:07 PM, Alexander Perlis wrote:
>> Trying to PXE boot a Dell Optiplex 990 with BIOS A16, which has Intel
>> Boot Agent 1.3.81 (2.1 build 089). It gets network and launches
>> lpxelinux.0, I see the PXELINUX banner line, but there it hangs.
>>
>> I tried both 6.03-pre18 and 5.10, same hanging behavior. If I instead
>> use pxelinux.0 or gpxelinux.0, either 6.03-pre18 or 5.10 or 4.07, there
>> are no problems. The problem seems isolated to lpxelinux.0, and isolated
>> to this specific hardware/BIOS. We're otherwise PXE booting to
>> lpxelinux.0 6.03-pre18 on a bunch of different machines without trouble.
>>
>> I can update the BIOS to A18 and try again with possibly newer Intel
>> Boot Agent code, if that report would help, but I only have this one
>> machine of this type. Thus, before I upgrade to A18, in case any
>> developers on this list want me to try anything with the current broken
>> setup, if that will help isolate a problem in lpxelinux.0 (or a way for
>> lpxelinux.0 to work around a problem in the Intel Boot Agent or Dell
>> BIOS), I'll be glad to try some things and report back.
>>

> Could you get a packet trace from the server, to see if you see any
> traffic at all before it dies?

If the traffic appears like any responses to the client after
lpxelinux.0 starts running are probably ignored by the client PC, try
4.10-pre22 and report the value of flags and the first 3 octets of the
MAC address.  This may require the same workaround that some other
models needed (specifically a 760).

--
-Gene