[syslinux] Avoid returning to menu if boot error happened

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 23:04:17 PDT 2014

> Hi
>
> I have a weird early boot bug that most likely happens because of
> interaction between syslinux (6.03pre18), btrfs and initram generated
> by Linux Arch installer.
>
> For some reason boot fails. Syslinux prints some information and
> returns back to the menu. Unfortunately it clears all the messages
> from screen. I really want to know what boot process prints there.
>
> Looking at  com32/elflink/ldlinux/execute.c (I believe it is where the
> error handled) I see the comment: /* If this returns, something went
> bad; return to menu */
>
> Would it be better avoid returning to menu in case of an error? I
> think syslinux should print message "Press any key to return back to
> menu". This will preserve the error messages needed during debugging.
> What do you think?

You don't _have_ to use a menu to boot, and the default behavior is
(or should be) not to clear the screen, so probably you can edit your
syslinux.cfg so to obtain (and be able to read) the error message
(that is, if indeed the error message is generated by Syslinux).

For instance:
 _ avoid the UI directive,
 _ avoid ONTIMEOUT,
 _ avoid ONERROR,
 _ avoid MENU CLEAR
 _ use a higher TIMEOUT,
 _ use PROMPT 1,
 _ use DEFAULT <problematic_label>.

These are just basic changes that _might_ help. In some cases, some
of the above should not be applied, and sometimes other changes are
needed.

The main point is that a basic syslinux.cfg (or equivalent) should
help you see the error messages.

If you need more details, please post your Syslinux configuration
file.

Regards,
Ady.