[syslinux] lpxelinux hangs under Intel Boot Agent 1.3.81 (2.1 build 089) on Dell Optiplex 990 BIOS A16

Alexander Perlis aperlis at math.lsu.edu
Fri Jul 11 14:49:50 PDT 2014

On 07/11/2014 04:31 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 07/11/2014 10:17 AM, Alexander Perlis wrote:
>>
>> Trace shows that lpxelinux.0 6.03-pre18 is transferred, and after that
>> there is only ARP traffic: a "gratuitous" ARP announcement by the
>> client, and then a string of ARP requests and replies in which the
>> client is asking for the MAC of the PXE server, about every 3 seconds,
>> for about 2 minutes [...]
>
> So it is sending packets but not getting the response.

Yes. To clarify my report: client is sending ARP requests, server is
sending ARP responses, and then either the client is totally ignoring
them or perhaps indeed updating its ARP table but then say immediately
expiring the ARP entry. This only happens with lpxelinux.0. Any other
things I should try or other data I can provide to assist?

Alex