[syslinux] pxelinux HTTP transport UEFI vmlinuz

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:57:19 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since which version of pxelinux.0 is understood in pxelinux.cfg/default that
>
>   kernel http://host.lan/netboot/vmlinuz
>
> means vmlinuz should be transported over HTTP?

For non-EFI systems, this has meant use HTTP services if available
(ie, iPXE/gPXE or lwIP as in lpxelinux.0) since somewhere in the 3.xx
series when gpxelinux.0 was first introduced.

> Since which version of pxelinux.0 is it possible to boot on UEFI?

In UEFI, there is no pxelinux.0, only syslinux.efi.  Somewhere along
the 6.0x chain after bugs were worked out.  I just did this with
6.03-pre18 loading everything before the kernel over TFTP and the
kernel and initrd payloads via HTTP.

> Those questions elaborated:
>
> What I want is fast netboot UEFI servers.

cptime.c32 should be able to help coarsely estimate transfer speeds
given a large enough file.

> What I'm looking for is an advice which version of PXELINUX
> between version 4.something and 6.03pre18.

I'd suggest 6.02 or the latest 6.03-pre release (currently 18).

> If http transport only works with DHCP Option 210 (pxelinux.pathprefix),
> please tell so.

No need.

> If pxelinux can't do  UEFI booting, please tell so.

See second statement.

--
-Gene