[syslinux] Undef symbol FAIL: luaL_checklstring in vesa.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:31:21 PDT 2014

> On 06/03/2014 02:59 AM, Ady wrote:
> > Testing Syslinux 6.03-pre13 in a BIOS 32-bit VM,
> > boot: vesa.c32
> > Undef symbol FAIL: luaL_checklstring
> > Failed to load COM32 file vesa.c32
> > boot:
> >
> > Is there a Lua-related issue?
> >
> > Is vesa.c32 expecting some kind of argument?
> >

> luaL_checklstring should be found in liblua.c32.  Are you perhaps
> missing the latter?

I have the complete set of binary files from the BIOS tree, all
together in "/" where SYSLINUX is installed (CWD).

> I didn't realize how many modules there are in Lua, and quite frankly
> not all of them are very well named in the sense that it is clear that
> they are Lua-related.  vesa.c32 is one of those - it is one of several
> Lua modules.
>
> 	-hpa

Yes, there are several Lua-related modules, including vesa.c32. If
this information is relevant, I might try to add it to the wiki by
the time 6.03 stable gets out.

What I do not know is whether this "luaL_checklstring" problem is
related to the Lua code in Syslinux (based on Lua v.5.2.3) with
potential influence on additional modules / scripts, or instead is
only related to vesa.c32 in particular. Perhaps reviewing this matter
could potentially help with other Lua-related modules / code in
Syslinux.

FWIW, searching for "luaL_checklstring" throughout the Syslinux
source code, I can see it is present in several modules. It is also
mentioned in "./com32/lua/doc/manual.html".

Perhaps Ferenc Wagner (Feri) might have something to add (for
instance, http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-May/022067.html ).

TIA,
Ady.