[syslinux] How to use --once? Does it work?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:14:55 PDT 2014

> On 06/08/2014 02:58 PM, Ady wrote:
> >>
> >> To be clear, I am not saying there is no bug - there might be.
> >>

> > I performed the following test with several versions of Syslinux:
> >
> > 1_ Execute:
> >  'extlinux --once=non_default_label --install /mnt/sda1' ;
> > 2_ In first reboot, the "non_default_label" should be executed;
> > 3_ In second reboot, the default label should be executed.
> >
> > Results:
> > _ 4.05 to 4.07: OK.
> > _ 5.00-pre1 to 5.00-pre7: fail.
> > _ 5.00-pre8: step #2 OK, step #3 buggy.
> > _ 5.00-pre9 to 5.11-pre9: OK.
> > _ 6.xx and 6.xx-pre*: fail.
> >

> As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be that we simply do not read
> the ADV before trying access it.
>
> 	-hpa

... Or, it is being read but some check(sum) fails and thus
discarded.

If someone wants to catch where the source of the "--once=" problem
is located, I'd guess this is a good starting point. Additionally,
5.00-pre1 to 5.00-pre7 also failed, so perhaps the correction was
introduced for 5.00-pre8/9 but was not applied to the 6.xx branch on
time (nor since).

Regards,
Ady.