[syslinux] Recent (6.02) PXELINUX on Soekris net4501

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 06:44:50 PDT 2014

> * Gene Cumm, 2014-06-10 :
>
> > If 4.05 or 3.86 acted nicely, this would mean a bug.
>
> OK, so, with unpatched official binaries:
>
> 3.86
> ----
>
> pxelinux.0
>   Loads fine, assumes terminal width 15, displays menu, but then freezes
>   (I suspect it does not process any input from the serial port)
>
> gpxelinux.0
>   Displays:
> PXE->EB: !PXE at 9E64:0060, entry point at 9E64:00F6
>          UNDI code segment 9E64:1396, data segment 9B73:2F10 (621-639kB)
>          UNDI device is PCI 00:12.0, type DIX+802.3
>          582kB free base memory after PXE unload
> then freezes.
>
> 4.05
> ----
>
> Same
>
> 6.02
> ----
>
> pxelinux.0
>   Same except that menu does not display correctly.
> gpxelinux.0
>   Same
> lpxelinux.0
>   Dislays only banner in 15-column mode, then freezes (as indicated
>   in my other message, inserting debugging traces indicates that
>   this is in pxe_init_isr).
>
> In all of these tests, pxelinux.cfg/default is as shown below.
>
> Thomas.
>
> serial 0 19200 0
> console 0
>
> ui menu.c32
> menu title Utilities
>
> label clonezilla
>   menu label Clonezilla
>   kernel images/clonezilla/live/vmlinuz
>   append boot=live live-config noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset \
>   ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" \
>   keyboard-layouts=us locales=en_US.UTF-8 \
>   ocs_live_batch="no" vga=788 nosplash fetch=tftp://tolbiac/PXE/images/clonezilla/live/filesyste.squashfs
>   initrd PXE/images/clonezilla/live/initrd.img

Just an idea that may - or may not - help.

Perhaps it would be worth testing with official pre-built binaries of
Syslinux 6.03-pre14 using the following config:

# ***
serial 0 19200 0
console 0

default clonezilla
prompt 0

label clonezilla

  kernel images/clonezilla/live/vmlinuz
  append boot=live live-config noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset \
  ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" \
  keyboard-layouts=us locales=en_US.UTF-8 \
  ocs_live_batch="no" vga=788 nosplash \
  fetch=tftp://tolbiac/PXE/images/clonezilla/live/filesyste.squashfs
  initrd PXE/images/clonezilla/live/initrd.img

# ***

Note that I intentionally took the menu-related directives out,
simplifying the test. By using only one label with 'prompt 0' and no
menu, the label should be executed immediately.

If the resulting behavior changes by using official pre-built
binaries from Syslinux 6.03-pre14 with a very basic config, then we
may be closer to solve the issue.

Another possible test could be to use a very basic c32 module instead
of the Clonezilla kernel:

# ***
serial 0 19200 0
console 0

default hel
prompt 0

label hel
com32 hello.c32

# ***

As a remainder, just in case, all c32 modules shall match the
bootloader version, specially 'ldlinux.c32' (must be present) and all
the 'lib*.c32' modules under the "bios" directory tree (recommended
for all to be present too).

Regards,
Ady.