[syslinux] Acceptable version mismatch between syslinux 6.0N's MBR/ldlinux.sys and *.c32?

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Fri Jun 13 08:08:41 PDT 2014

Hi,

first, thanks a lot, Ady and Gene, for your prompt and very
useful replies!

Ady wrote (11 Jun 2014 20:18:43 GMT) :
> Although I haven't tested it lately, the Tuxboot tool should be able
> to use the version of Syslinux included in your ISO images so to
> transfer it to a (USB) drive. Since it works for other Debian-based
> distros, it might answer to your needs. GParted/Clonezilla Live also
> include scripts for the same purpose, and they are already using
> Syslinux 6.03-pre*.

Ah, that was just the hint I needed. I didn't know that all what we
needed, in our situation, was the syslinux binary. Now, I see that
Clonezilla simply ships a syslinux binary (in utils/linux/syslinux),
and Tuxboot uses this path. We'll do the same, and will use the same
paths for standardization's sake.

(Before sending my initial email, I had looked into running syslinux
from the SquashFS filesystem that's inside our ISO, but that required
a bit of mount -o loop and chroot dance, which requires root
privileges and brings security concerns to the table. I'm glad you
suggested something way simpler to me.)

> Regarding the particular versions you mentioned, IMHO using 6.03-pre1
> would be a waste of time, as there are already (too) many
> improvements over it in the current 6.03-pre14.

Sure, we're eagerly waiting for a newer version to be uploaded to
Debian. Not sure we have time to integrate it in time for Tails 1.1,
in case there are packaging changes or files moving around.

> PS: [off-topic]
> Reading the reports from users testing TAILS in UEFI systems, you
> might want to consider adding the 'MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768'
> directive to your EFI/tails.cfg as temporary workaround (for example,

I'll look into it, thanks!

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri