[syslinux] Chainload pxelinux from pxelinux and pass parameters or change root dir?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 16 17:12:16 PDT 2014

On 06/16/2014 02:57 PM, Alexander Perlis wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 10:41 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> [...]  Initially I wrote pxechn.c32 to allow further
>> modifications of the DHCP data [...]
>
> Awesome! In fact, this might allow us to install an automatic 'http'
> prefix on all subsequent requests, to avoid slow tftp --- or is that a
> bad idea, and/or is there a way to default all transfers to http without
> using pxechn and without prefixing every filename in the *.cfg files
> with http://my.ip/ ? (We don't control our DHCP server so can't easily
> experiment with the 210 option. Chainloading just to get that prefix
> installed is itself a slowdown, so I'd love to know a better way.)

There is a way to hard-code options into the pxelinux.0 file itself
using the "pxelinux-options" program.  Now when I think about it, that
might actually be broken (and needs to be fixed.)

> Here's what I mean by 'chainloading to install an automatic http prefix':

The other option is to use a very small default configuration file
containing only:

default reload
label reload
   config http://...path to real config file .../  http://...new path