[syslinux] menu.c32 is not a COM32R image

webman at manfbraun.de webman at manfbraun.de
Thu Jun 19 18:24:18 PDT 2014

Hello !

I am completely new to syslinux.

I followed this instruction manually:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/pxe.html

I am on debian and do not have syslinux installed, but using
this debian box as a tftp server. I had to modify the instructions
given by the installation above. I downloaded the 6.02 version
and copied the files to the tftp root.

I am using dnsmasq as a tftp server and the client is served
with the image, but it's getting no menu.

I got first:

menu.c32 not a COM32R image.

I learned to press the TAB key and I see the entries, I gave for this
box. Then I selected the "reboot" entry and got a similar error:

reboot.c32: not a COM32R image.

I found no exact configuration example and I am now really
very confused, because I even connot differentiate between
bootps, PXE, gPXE, iPXe, etherboot, SYSLINUX, PXELINUX,
GPXELINUX, ISOLINUX, UDIONLY ....

No flame intended ...

The files on the syslinux-6.02 are just too much and lost control
completely. Additionally - this was my first step - I followed the
debian instructions:

https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall

so, this part works. But looks very different. If I look into the files
of these two ways, I see:

syslinux vesamneu ~27 k
debian vesamenu ~152k

Finally, I'll achive to offer complete ISO images to boot via iSCSI.
Hopefully.

So, the one or other tip could help to to escapre the hell ;-)

Thanks anyway and best regards,

++mabra