[syslinux] menu.c32 is not a COM32R image

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 19:21:33 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM,  <webman at manfbraun.de> wrote:

> I got first:
>
> menu.c32 not a COM32R image.

Which says either your client messed up the download, you grabbed the
wrong file or you're mixing versions.  Be sure to copy
bios/com32/menu/menu.c32 to your TFTP.

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Modules

> I learned to press the TAB key and I see the entries, I gave for this
> box. Then I selected the "reboot" entry and got a similar error:
>
> reboot.c32: not a COM32R image.
>
> I found no exact configuration example and I am now really
> very confused, because I even connot differentiate between
> bootps, PXE, gPXE, iPXe, etherboot, SYSLINUX, PXELINUX,
> GPXELINUX, ISOLINUX, UDIONLY ....

bootp server/services
Preboot eXecution Environment, a defacto standard of extending DHCP booting.
etherboot, a community and its original project, targetted to be a PXE
stack to replace existing ones or add when there is none present.
gPXE, a reimplementation of most of etherboot (effectively unmaintained)
iPXE, an active fork of gPXE.
SYSLINUX, a Syslinux variant for disk-based file systems, formerly
only for FAT* but now covers all disk-based file systems
PXELINUX, a Syslinux variant for PXE
GPXELINUX, PXELINUX wrapped in gPXE to extend the existing PXE stack
for TFTP/HTTP/iSCSI
ISOLINUX, a Syslinux variant for ISO9660 file systems via the El Torito standard
UNDIONLY, just meaning iPXE/gPXE only talks with the UNDI directly
rather than attempting to load its own hardware-specific driver.

> No flame intended ...
>
> The files on the syslinux-6.02 are just too much and lost control
> completely. Additionally - this was my first step - I followed the
> debian instructions:

There's the source then three binary directories, each for a different
target architecture.

> https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
>
> so, this part works. But looks very different. If I look into the files
> of these two ways, I see:
>
> syslinux vesamneu ~27 k
> debian vesamenu ~152k

Which will happen across versions from non-ELF to ELF.  Think static
versus dynamic binary.

--
-Gene