[syslinux] menu.c32 is not a COM32R image

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 19:57:38 PDT 2014

> Hello !
>
> I am completely new to syslinux.
>
> I followed this instruction manually:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/pxe.html
>
> I am on debian and do not have syslinux installed, but using
> this debian box as a tftp server. I had to modify the instructions
> given by the installation above. I downloaded the 6.02 version
> and copied the files to the tftp root.
>
> I am using dnsmasq as a tftp server and the client is served
> with the image, but it's getting no menu.
>
> I got first:
>
> menu.c32 not a COM32R image.
>
> I learned to press the TAB key and I see the entries, I gave for this
> box. Then I selected the "reboot" entry and got a similar error:
>
> reboot.c32: not a COM32R image.
>
> I found no exact configuration example and I am now really
> very confused, because I even connot differentiate between
> bootps, PXE, gPXE, iPXe, etherboot, SYSLINUX, PXELINUX,
> GPXELINUX, ISOLINUX, UDIONLY ....
>
> No flame intended ...
>
> The files on the syslinux-6.02 are just too much and lost control
> completely. Additionally - this was my first step - I followed the
> debian instructions:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
>
> so, this part works. But looks very different. If I look into the files
> of these two ways, I see:
>
> syslinux vesamneu ~27 k
> debian vesamenu ~152k
>
> Finally, I'll achive to offer complete ISO images to boot via iSCSI.
> Hopefully.
>
> So, the one or other tip could help to to escapre the hell ;-)
>
> Thanks anyway and best regards,
>
> ++mabra

Most instructions /tutorials / articles... for using Syslinux are not
updated to use version 6.xx. Since you are new to Syslinux and using
Debian, I would suggest using the Syslinux _package_ from the Debian
stable repo, which is still version 4.05. I believe it would help you
understand those tutorials and achieve the expected results.

Please note that the version of all the Syslinux c32 modules shall
match the version of the Syslinux bootloader, so you should probably
get rid of all the files that came from the different versions you
have now and just use one (the Syslinux package from Debian stable
would be my suggestion for your case).

Regards,
Ady.