[syslinux] testing out 6.03 network booting...

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 04:58:09 PDT 2014

> They are from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.03/
>
> > I should guess you are also using (replacing) the c32/e32/e64 files each time,
> > according to the Syslinux bootloader version too, right?
> > (sorry to ask, but this is a too-common mistake, and very easy to miss / mess /
> > get mixed, specially when testing several versions.)
>
> Yes - all files replaced from the correct version with each test.
>
> > I wonder if some difference in debugging options when compiling (whether
> > your own binaries, or even the ones HPA made for official
> > pre-release) could be part of the reasons for the different resulting behaviors.
>
> I've not compiled them myself yet.
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

Although you have not compiled them yourself, there is a chance that
HPA used (intentionally or not) different (debug) settings to build
different pre-release versions.

I could think of another possibility; when building with different
(additional debug) settings, some "extra" checks would be
additionally used, making the boot process slightly slower (which
could, in some potential case, trigger the PXELINUX timeout interval,
thus rebooting).

I don't know whether using a different file name extension for
syslinux.efi (as you did) could also make the boot process slower.
While changing the file name of UEFI boot loaders is allowed, I don't
know whether there is any influence in the boot process (e.g.
searching for expected files in additional paths, taking more time
too).

BTW, according to the script you mentioned in the other email (in
this same email thread), you _might_ be missing some c32 files (e.g.
libgpl.c32, libmenu.c32 - which are required for hdt.c32 - and
possibly others).

Regards,
Ady.