[syslinux] isohybrid has 2 variants

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 10:23:16 PDT 2014

> >What I reminder from it:
> >
> > The first "isohybrid" was in perl.
> > But that made perl a run-time dependency.
> >
> > A compiled version of "isohybrid" removed that
> > run-time dependency on perl.
> >

> >What I think of it:
> >
> > The Perl variant of isohybrid should be removed
> > from the source tree.
>
> One advantage of the Perl one for me is that I can run it on
> Windows. I had trouble with the binary one in Cygwin, but the Perl
> version worked well.
>
> --Ian

Although there are some "isohybrid.exe" around, there is no official
support for them and they are also outdated.

The Syslinux mailing list already includes several emails about
issues in the included isohybrid variants. I think that deleting
either of them would be a mistake. At least users such as Ian might
benefit from both being included.

Since both included variants are currently different, and both
variants have problems, a user could either:
_ success with both; or,
_ success with one but fail with the other; or,
_ fail with both.

Additionally, a user could be using a different (not included in
Syslinux) variant (specially when the included ones fail to
accomplish the goal in some cases).

So when a common user reports about problems with isohybrid images,
it is getting more difficult to know how exactly that image was
generated, and therefore how to solve the problem; which means that
potential improvements (fixes) are rare too.

Instead of deleting any of the isohybrid variants, I think it would
be helpful to document the existence of _both_ of them. At least
users would know that they might be able to try the second one when
problems arise.

Ideally, the Perl variant should get updated at least with the
patches that the C variant already includes, and then solve the
remaining known problems. Any takers?

Regards,
Ady.