[syslinux] isohybrid has 2 variants

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 11:44:10 PDT 2014

> >Although there are some "isohybrid.exe" around, there is no official
> support for them and they are also outdated.
>
> >The Syslinux mailing list already includes several emails about
> issues in the included isohybrid variants. I think that deleting
> either of them would be a mistake. At least users such as Ian might
> benefit from both being included.
>
> >Ideally, the Perl variant should get updated at least with the
> patches that the C variant already includes, and then solve the
> remaining known problems. Any takers?
>

> While I did know the .exe variant was not official / untrusted, I
> didn't know the official Perl and binary versions were out of sync in
> terms of features/bugfixes. If the Perl version cannot be maintained
> alongside the binary version (sadly I don't know any Perl to help
> with this), I agree with Geert that it should be removed or the
> differences clearly documented.
>
> --Ian

Your wording seems to (unintentionally, I'm sure) slightly misquote
prior statements.

Geert is suggesting the deletion of the Perl variant (which means you
have had no choice when you had problems with the C variant).

I am, _on the other hand_, suggesting adding documentation (leaving
the option to at least try the Perl alternative when the other one
doesn't fit user's needs or fails for whichever reason). FWIW, I am
against deleting the Perl variant.

FWIW (not that my opinion has any special value), I would agree to
its deletion if the C variant would serve users in each and every
single case. Your example shows this is not the case.

Let me put it this way: IMHO, the possibility that the Perl variant
might not achieve its goal in certain cases is not reason enough to
delete it. Remember that the C variant included in Syslinux has
limitations too.

The known issues should be an encouragement to improve them, both.

Regards,
Ady.