[syslinux] isohybrid has 2 variants

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Sat Jun 21 13:05:19 PDT 2014

Hi,

Ian Bannerman wrote (21 Jun 2014 19:29:46 GMT) :
> Now I'm confused, if Tails is able to use the .pl for the purpose of
> installing on OS X that would suggest it does have the EFI/Mac
> updates..?

I understand why you see it as suggested by combining bits of what
I've written here recently, but 1. I've no idea if isohybrid.pl
has such features; and 2. we're not relying on it.

If you're curious, here are the details. There are three major kinds
of Tails boot devices:

* DVD burnt from ISO: lacks a few Tails features, but can be created
  on most operating systems; does not support EFI boot (not that it
  couldn't, but having it working is low-priority for us)

* alpha generation: created via isohybrid + cat>/dev/sdx; lacks a few
  Tails features, but can be created on most operating systems; does
  not support EFI boot (same as above)

* beta generation: created with Tails Installer, either from a running
  Tails DVD, or from a running alpha generation Tails; has all Tails
  features, including EFI support once Tails 1.1 is out of July 22.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri