[syslinux] isohybrid has 2 variants

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Jun 21 23:31:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

> All the "isohybrid.exe" I know of are based on the Perl variant.

I just got one from
  http://www.filewatcher.com/m/isohybrid.exe.39568-0.html

Its strings seem not to stem from isohybrid.pl.

Digging in slitaz source brought a shell script (that would be
variant #5 then):
  http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/file/313b384e2a06/syslinux/stuff/tools/isohybrid.sh

But isohybrid.exe must have a different source.

How about this as source of variant #4 (isohybrid.exe):

  http://cook.slitaz.org/cooker.cgi?stuff=syslinux/stuff/iso2exe/iso2exe.c

Despite its name it has:
  return "Usage: isohybrid.exe file.iso [--forced]\n";
and many of the other strings which i see in "isohybrid.exe".

>  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-June/022259.html
> suggests that the 2 prior bug reports:
>  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-May/017843.html
>  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-May/017871.html
> might not be the only ones.

Yeah. It also has problems with large (image) file support.
Already reported in may and diagnosed by hpa:

http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-May/022041.html:
> The right thing to do is compile it with #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
> and change fseek to fseeko with the appropriate type being off_t.

This brings of course the question how to do this on MS-Windows.

That's why i asked for a DOS exe that can handle 43 bit file byte
addressing (32 bit ISO block count + 11 bits usual block size)

Further there is the freshly spotted misnomer "AFP" in the help
text of isohybrid.c. It should be "APM".

Known Variants up to now:

- isohybrid.in -> isohybrid.pl       from SYSLINUX, no EFI/GPT support

- isohybrid.c -> isohybrid           from SYSLINUX

- libisofs/make_isohybrid_mbr.c      from libburnia, needs isohdp[fp]x*.bin
  -> libisofs, xorriso                               from SYSLINUX

- isohybrid.sh                       from SliTaz, no EFI/GPT support

- iso2exe.c -> isohybrid.exe         from SliTaz, no EFI/GPT support

If somebody wants to assess the quality, i would propose to inspect
the resulting ISOs by xorriso >= 1.3.7

  xorriso -indev image.iso \
          -report_el_torito plain \
          -report_system_area plain

It knows El Torito, MBR, GPT, and APM and complains about some known
flaws or pitfalls.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas