[syslinux] testing out 6.03 network booting...

Andrew Rae A.M.Rae at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 13:41:38 PDT 2014

I tried the version at this page, with the same failure on EFI32 and EFI64 as with kernel.org versions.
BIOS (lpxelinux.0) still worked OK.

> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/syslinux/download/

I tried this one too, which contains just EFI32 & BIOS.
EFI32 fails in same was as x86_64 version.

>Also the binaries from Debian Unstable, currently at 6.03-pre17 too,
>could be downloaded and tested.
>
>To be clear, I don't mean that these distros need to be installed,
>just to download the packages and repeat the test(s) using their
>respective binaries.
>
>Perhaps another possible source of the problem could be related to
>(the) gnu-efi (submodule).
>
>I don't know whether these tests would be worth. If the resulting
>behavior with these other binaries is the same as with the upstream
>binaries already tested (in particular comparing with 6.03-pre17),
>then we would know nothing new. But if the behavior changes...
>
>I am also wondering why Gene had a positive result in EFI64 with the
>same patch from Matt, but Andrew's test failed.

No idea, I've triple checked I'm not doing something stupid when copying the files to tftp folders etc...  and I scripted it so can flit between versions easily - back to pre11 and booted ok....

>Regards,
>Ady.

If I can, I'll try on a physical EFI machine tomorrow (instead of VMWare WS).

Wouldn't the two versions I just tried need the patch adding ?? (As mentioned - I failed to figure out how to build from source...!)

Hope that helps at all,
Andrew